Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Sniffle sniffle

Winter always brings with it commercials for various cold remedies, and I usually don't pay much attention. Unfortunately this year I actually have a cold ... and the only "remedy" I can remember is the new antiviral Kleenex, which promises to kill 99.9% of cold and flu viruses. I have to admit, as a former microbiology student, I'm a little curious as to what is in the Kleenex that will kill the viruses. Not curious enough to buy the box, or even to go to a store and pick it up for a look ... just a little curious. I hadn't realized such a tissue was necessary. Is the concern that ordinary tissues were spreading the germs? That once you sneezed into a tissue, it immediately became a viral disaster waiting to happen?

It's a little strange to me, because I would have thought that throwing your used tissue away immediately would be sufficient. Where do we stop with all the antiviral, antibacterial stuff anyway? Maybe, if these tissues are so efficient at killing viruses, persons with colds should just stuff tissues up their noses. You know, prevent those viruses from coming out at all. It'd be unattractive, but all in the name of good health eh.

Anyway. Hard to believe it is already January. My goal for this year is to... um... um... I don't even have a goal!? Oh well. I'll come up with one later.

No comments: