Friday, April 28, 2006
Blah... I feel tired today...
I'm off to Campbell River soon too. That's a bundle of news and no mistake. I'll update later!
Thursday, April 20, 2006
I took this picture while we were in Florida, at one of the 8 million Wal-Marts in Orlando. Actually this was a special Wal-Mart - it's SUPER WAL-MART! Open 24 hours, probably bigger than two Costco's put together, yes that's right, it's the place you can buy everything.
Including this fascinating meat product, called a Tur-Duc-Hen. My brother once told me about this rather bizarre food where one stuffs a chicken into a duck, and then stuffs the duck into a turkey, and then cooks the whole thing. I thought he was crazy until I saw this. To be fair, this product isn't actually an entire chicken-inside-a-duck-inside-a-turkey.... it's actually just a turkey breast stuffed with other meats.
I just find it so awesome that people come up with these ideas, and better still, that these ideas come to fruition and are sold at Wal-Mart. I actually kind of hate Wal-Mart, but that's another story, I guess.
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
I have several problems with this:
1) Um, huh?? I was talking about myself! Me! Her knickers are all in a knot because of something I said about MYSELF!
2) If you're going to insult me, at least use a spell checker.
3) Don't call me SWEETIE, you dumbass.
4) How exactly does one "owe" up to something?
5) NOBODY LIKES MILHOUSE!
I know that last point is unrelated, but I still like saying it.
In other news, tonight I hope to enjoy a delicious bowl of ramen with some good friends. Yummm... soupy noodles always make me feel better.
I'm playing catchup at work right now, but here's the best news of the day - I finally am not facing the wall! My desk got turned around after the office was painted, and now people can actually sit across from me and not feel like they're in the middle of the room. Unfortunately, my office is now yellow. The paint colour has some fancy name, but let's face it, it's still yellow. Oh well.
Thursday, April 13, 2006
1. Has anyone heard those awful Spence Diamond ads on the radio? They are horrible! That guy has a terrible radio voice, it's all whiny and makes you want to smack him. But even worse is their message. Today's was some kind of crap about how if this guy doens't ask his girlfriend to marry him soon by choosing a big diamond from Spence, she'll soon dump him. The other time was some drivel about "Shrinking Diamond Syndrome" where a guy must replace that tiny non-Spence diamond with a huge Spence diamond, lest his wife/fiancee/girlfriend become envious of other women's huge Spence diamonds and leave him.
Wow, these ads make me want to scream. Are we supposed to believe that all women want a "huge" diamond or that a girl would leave a guy who didn't buy her a big rock? Egads.
2. I read a blog recently where the guy writing said something about how he's going to be making $X/year and how he had previously made money and spent it all, accumulating "bad debt" (on stuff like home electronics, cars, etc), not investing wisely ... but now he's going to be making a ton and buying investment properties... and then he said something like, "God gives and God takes away, and God has given me back now what he took away before." Um, NO! God did not "take away" your money, you SPENT IT. On useless stuff. I don't think God should be blamed for your poor spending habits. And I certainly don't think you're being rewarded with a fat paycheque now that you've chosen to make better investments.
It's like losing your iPod, and having someone give you a new one. Can you really say, God took my first iPod away? No... because YOU (which is, I'll admit, a three letter word with "o" in the middle, but still shouldn't be confused with GOD), LOST IT.
That's it for now. Time for dim sum.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
It's my BURFDAY today... well.. another year older, and at least two years wiser, I think. I still enjoy my birthday, even though each year brings me closer to numbers I don't even want to think about. But really, it's all good. So far I've had one phone call and two emails and lots of good wishes from friends... and also some beautiful flowers (two dozen!) from my hubby. Oh and also a present which I did not expect!
Not only is it my birthday, but today also marks two years since we got engaged. Here's a little pic to commemorate that momentous occasion:
It's a little dark in this picture, but notice how Raf's shirt reflects :) This picture was taken in Stanley Park. Hard to believe it's been two years already since that day. I'm terribly glad not to be doing any wedding planning right now, that's for sure! Ah, those were good times. First time at Krispy Kreme ... mm... hot donuts..
Welps, that's all for now. Have a good day all, and let's hope the Canucks win tonight!
Monday, April 10, 2006
We've just been having a little chat here at the office about jeans. One girl just spent over $300 on a pair of jeans while another knows someone who routinely buys jeans over $200.
Look, Rock & Republic jeans:
Now, maybe I'm just being cheap, or maybe it's because I don't make very much, or maybe my Asian-ness just cannot comprehend spending that kind of money on pants. I've heard all the arguments in favour of expensive jeans - they lift the butt, show curves well, etc etc. But would they not fray at roughly the same rate as cheap jeans? Would they not fade and be subject to the dreaded "chubb rub" chafing and the thinning at the knees? Are expensive jeans made out of some magic fabric?
I just don't get it.
But then again, I am known to get my hair cut once a year and then let it grow out until I can't stand it any more.
Saturday, April 08, 2006
I think this is one of my favourite Calvin and Hobbes strips. I must say the word "smock" is rather catchy. Smock smock smock!
It's almost 3am. No idea why I'm still up. Tonight, I watched a few episodes of 24, Season 1, with the girls. My gosh - Kiefer had a lot of hair then. And I get tired of Theo really easily. Could he act worse? I don't think so. And Mophead's hair is horrible. But, the more 24-savvy friends I have, the better I'll feel, I'm sure.
I hate when people tell the same stories over and over again. I'm sure I'm guilty of repeating myself once in a while, but I know someone who told me the same story four times this week. I suppose it isn't exactly the same, as it seemed to get worse each time she told me. It was something about a rude customer or some such nonsense. Whatever, get over it, and stop the exaggerating already. This isn't high school, it's real life.
Time to go to bed now ...
Friday, April 07, 2006
It's my very first post on this brand new blog. I tried a few other names before I found one that worked... I kinda wanted "totallyridiculous" but someone already has it.... and so I figured, this name reflects me pretty well. I am a little bit snarky, but it's only because I'm so incredibly impatient. I think everyone needs a little snark to get them through the day, honestly!
I took this picture on our honeymoon cruise. Actually, I cheated a little by using the "warm colours" setting on my camera. But really, it's not far off from how the water and sunset actually looked.
April always makes me reflect... maybe because it's my birthday month. Getting older is a little strange. I remember when I couldn't wait to grow up, to be out of the house, to be independent, to be done with school. And now ... I am kind of grown up, I don't live with my mom, I am sort of independent, and I'm working. In some ways it's incredibly fulfilling. In other ways, I wonder if I've grown up at all. I still feel like a kid sometimes.
Hmm - this post is lacking in snark. Well, that's ok, I'm sure I'll find something to gripe about later in the day. Cheerio!