As the price of gas climbs ever upward, I find myself wondering how I can lessen my own impact on the earth. Unfortunately there is little I can do about my commute. There is no reasonable transit option and I can't carpool with anyone. I do try to drive the hybrid twice a week (and I am campaigning for hybrid #2 when we finish paying off the first one...) I can't work from home and what's worse, I often have to drive to and from various places while I'm already at work.
So... here are some small things I am trying to do - feel free to add suggestions!:
- pack a lunch - it means less packaging and it's healthier anyway (I'm doing my best!)
- lighten up on the gas pedal - it's more gas-efficient. And avoid idling!
- recycle, recycle, recycle. Ugh, this is a tough one sometimes. But after seeing some shows on landfills and what shouldn't be in them, I'm convinced!
- grow vegetables - well - this is just a dream for now.
- get a water meter at our new house - complete with low flow toilets and faucets and showerheads
- take shorter showers
- use reusable bags rather than plastic