Thursday, January 04, 2007

Spare some change?

As previously posted, I don't make New Year's resolutions, and I am not about to start now. However, I *just* (as in two minutes ago) decided on a goal for the year. I'm going to save all my loonies and toonies (instead of spending them on Starbucks drinks) and MAYBE by the end of the year, or in 10 months or so, I'll have enough for a trip. Or at least, spending money during my (hopefully sometime this year?) trip to Disney World. (I like it there - don't judge.)

I always thought one of the benefits of marriage would be that we'd get to travel together and go on trips and vacations whenever we wanted. Pre-marriage, the only "travel" we did together was camping with friends, or day trips to Seattle/the outlets (hey! we still do that!)... so I had in mind that after we got married, we would travel the four corners of the world, or at least, one corner. Anyway I'm sure you can see where this is going... the harsh realities of working full time and NEEDING to work to sustain ourselves has definitely put a damper on my plans. Call me an optimist or just naive, but I didn't think working for a living would be such a hassle. :)

Alas we have only take one trip together, which was, of course, our honeymoon. Well... I guess that isn't exactly true, since we did go to Mexico. But we didn't even go alone! In about three weeks, we'll be heading to Chile - which isn't really a vacation, but will be the furthest I have ever travelled. Prior to going to Mexico, I had never even left North America. (Shocking, isn't it?) I think the travel alone will be a test of endurance for me. The flight time is somewhere between 16 and 20 hours in total - I can't recall exactly what flights we are on. I thought flying to Mexico was exhausting! (Although.. that might be because at least an hour was spent on a tiny plane with less than 30 seats, and the guy across the tiny aisle from me insisted on having his socked foot SUPER close to me. Disgusting.)

All this to say, growing up is very difficult and definitely not as carefree as it should be! But with some diligent saving, I may yet make it to Disney World, or a cruise, or an all-inclusive, for another fun-filled trip. Poor hubby - he doesn't much care for Disney World... I almost think he'd rather go to China again. (No thanks!)

No comments: