Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Show me that smile again

I wanted a dog for a very long time. I went back and forth for months. A dog is just like a child in many senses, right... - they have many needs, they need people around, and they don't know when to stop being bad sometimes... and worst of all, you have to actually pick up the poo WITH YOUR HANDS. But on the other hand, they are loyal and no matter how many times you catch them doing something bad, they still love you....

So, this dog ownership thing has been very interesting. Kodi is a great little dog (soon to be not so little.) She is a typical puppy - full of energy one minute, needing a nap the second. Obviously I'm biased but I think she's super smart - she knows how to sit and shake hands and almost has the hang of lying down on command too. And she's only 11 weeks old! She also has been pretty good about telling us when she has to go to the bathroom. I'm thinking of how to hook up a bell so she can ring it when she needs to go out. Haha!

Definitely there have been frustrations - like when she is bored and begins to growl and/or bark at me, or when she tries to chew every piece of paper in my office. Hubs told me to stand up, make myself look way bigger than her (how hard could that be? she's a puppy!) and say "NO" at the top of my lungs. Let's just say - we're working on it. I was a little upset on Monday after having a frustrating day with her ... but I'm trying to remember that she's just a puppy, and prone to doing the wrong thing sometimes.

I'll have to take a video of her tearing apart her monkey toy sometime. It's one of the only non-Christmas toys we got her. Poor monkey lost half his mouth already!

Sigh.


No comments: