Thursday, September 21, 2006

Winter makes me crave a warm bowl of...


I know winters in this part of the world are mild and really there is nothing to complain about.... aside from a little rain ... and we Vancouverites sure know how to rationalize the rain - "it makes our grass so green!" ... but I think secretly we all have times when we despise the weather and just want to curl up in front of the TV with a warm blanket. Well, I have already had two days like that and we aren't even really into fall yet.

Luckily I live with a master chef and he always makes me whatever I feel like for dinner. So tonight was congee night. I'm sure other people have this ability, but I don't, so I will brag about my husband's ability to take random ingredients and make something delicious. In less than an hour he had made a delicious pot of congee flavoured with chicken and dried scallops. I didn't even know we had dried scallops! No Chinese donuts (so clearly, that isn't my picture up there), but that's okay. We had some Costco dry ribs instead. Haha! Anyway, nothing cures my winter blues like a nice toasty bowl of congee. I don't like it so thick that a spoon stands up in it, and I don't like it too watery either.

I used to hate congee, actually, when I was a kid. I still have an aversion to congee with "weird" stuff in it (normal to everyone else - just weird to me) - like "pei dahn", for example.

Today was kind of a crappy day. I had to pick up my robes in downtown after work ... so I put in 3 quarters into my parking meter (= 18 minutes, what a ripoff) and the old fellow who works at the robes place is kinda slow. You know, as older people are. So I got my robes probably about 2 minutes past my meter expiry time and I sprinted/fastwalked (as best as can be done in heels) back to my car... only to see, as I was pulling out, a meter maid guy standing next to my meter, watching me leave. I expect a parking ticket in the mail in about a week or so. It put me in such a bad mood that I skipped the seminar I was supposed to go to.

It wasn't much better of a day AT work either. I've been feeling a little swamped lately, but it isn't always because I have too much work to do - it's more like I feel as though I know nothing at all. My boss said this is common to newbies, so I shouldn't worry - but I definitely still worry that I've forgotten things, or that I'll be such a royal screwup, my boss will fire me. It's the feeling of "Wow - I'm kinda stupid - wonder if anyone will find out." Let me tell ya - I'm not inspiring a lot of people lately.

Good thing, then, that there was congee tonight. I feel better already.

I suppose if the biggest problem I face is a parking ticket, I should really be more grateful for what God gives me.

No comments: