Sunday, June 25, 2006

Ode to a good friend (actually, two)

I'd like to introduce you to my good friends. Affectionately I refer to them as "sandals", but their technical name is Nike ACG "Air Deschutz" Sandals. These friends have walked with me (haha) through many good times.



I have owned this pair of sandals since 1998. In fact, hubby brought them back for me from Hawaii during his mission trip there. I can hardly believe it's been 8 years. That was a rocky time in our relationship - we didn't really know if we'd be able to stick it out - but I knew I meant SOMETHING to him because I was the only one who got souvenirs AND sandals when he came back.

I've worn these sandals faithfully every summer, on vacations, camping trips, etc. I haul them out whenever it seems like it'll be a sunny week. Some people are grossed out at the sight of feet, but I have perfectly normal feet and don't mind exposing them to the world by wearing sandals. (I would not, however, walk barefoot outside - I'm not Britney Spears, after all.)

Permit me to indulge in some fond memories with my Nikes.

Here I am in Victoria, pretending to be a dinosaur (June 2003):


If you look closely you can see my sandals on the carpet of my Campbell River hotel room (May 2006):


Look - we are meeting the Genie from Aladdin at Disney World (Feb 2003):


Clod is the center of this pic, but look - sandals during camping! (July 2004):


I think I'm saying grace before eating in this picture, but otherwise, it's eerily similar - same chair, same camp location ... it's when I went camping with some of my school friends in July 2003:



I have many other fun pictures, but I am afraid I might be wearing the same clothes in many of them. Darn that Old Navy hoodie - its versatility may be outweighed by its lack of photogenicity.

Anyway. In May 2004, I went to St. Louis with my family for my cousin's wedding. While we were walking up the steps to a fancy shopping mall, my mom noticed an issue with my sandals tearing at the back. I managed to sew them back together ... but I guess thread can only do so much. This month I noticed significant damage again ... Poor Nikes. View the damage below - warning - lovers of Nike sandals may want to avert their eyes!

Oh! The disaster!


I suppose I could have sewed them up again, but I just didn't think it would be worth the effort. So this past weekend, I bit the bullet and purchased a new pair of sandals. I hope they last another 8 years (that would mean $5/year - pretty good!) It's hard to say goodbye to such a good friend, but all good things must come to an end, right?

Here is a picture of my new friend: (don't worry - I bought both the right and left ones!)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Yvonne's new sandals. Many happy years ahead!

Good-bye old ones. You've been good friends.

Haha...great story.

Anonymous said...

i'm just glad you didn't get crocs as replacements. they're highly unfashionable and stinky (especialy when naked feet are in them in hot weather) ugh!

m said...

Hey Yvonne! We enjoyed your story!! Where did you get your new ones?? I love them!! Great taste!!